24 Oct Natural, Effective Solutions for Sinus Problems
If you have problems with your sinuses, you probably know the misery of painful sinus headaches, a frequently runny nose, or repeated sinus infections. Whatever form your sinus troubles take, we have treatments for you at Eastern Oklahoma Chiropractic—and some helpful at-home care suggestions, too.
Sinus Problems: Common Causes
Your sinuses are part of your respiratory tract. They’re made up of four pairs of pockets located on each side of your face (behind your cheekbones, forehead, eyes and alongside your nose). The sinuses produce mucus that helps lubricate your nose and protect it from germs and irritants.
Typical culprits behind sinus problems include bacterial and viral infections, allergies, or anatomical defects such as a deviated septum. The most common kind of difficulty people have with their sinuses is blockage that prevents a sinus passage from draining its mucus properly, leading to feelings of pressure and pain.
If mucus builds up for too long, harmful bacteria may grow—and you can end up with the inflammation and infection known as sinusitis.
How Can Chiropractic Care Help Resolve Your Sinus Troubles?
When your vertebrae aren’t properly aligned, your neck muscles can become swollen and interfere with drainage from your nasal passages. This fluid buildup often leads to congestion, sinus pain and infection.
Chiropractic adjustments restore your spine’s natural alignment, removing some impediments to good sinus function. A properly aligned spine also helps your nervous system to send messages freely between your brain and body. This good communication optimizes all of your body’s systems–including your immune system’s ability to fight off infections.
In addition, some chiropractic treatments can work directly on the areas near your sinuses to promote relaxation of the sinuses and improve drainage. These treatments and other therapies help your body heal itself, relieving pain and improving your mobility and overall health.
Natural Ways to Soothe Your Sinuses at Home
Your chiropractor is also a great resource for holistic at-home health care. Here are some tips to relieve symptoms without the use of medication:
- Include anti-inflammatory foods like fruits and vegetables in your regular diet.
- Watch out for foods that trigger inflammation or allergy symptoms, such as sugar and dairy.
- Do your best to avoid any allergens that set off your symptoms.
- Get 7-9 hours of sleep every night to promote healing. Sleep with your head elevated to help drain sinuses and relieve pressure.
- Drink plenty of water daily to help thin out the mucus in your nose.
- Sit near a running hot shower in your bathroom, breathing in steam to loosen mucus.
- Use a saline spray or neti pot to cleanse your nasal passages of irritants.
- Set up a humidifier to help open up your sinuses.
- Dampen a washcloth with warm water and hold it to your face to open up nasal passages and relieve muscle tension.
- Ask your chiropractor about self-massage techniques for sinus relief.
Being proactive with chiropractic and home care will help get you breathing freely again soon!
Schedule a Complimentary Consultation at Eastern Oklahoma Chiropractic
We’ll help you maximize your health potential. Contact our Broken Arrow office today at 918-940-4630.