10 Oct Boosting Your Post-Pregnancy Recovery with Chiropractic and Other Holistic Care
The physical changes and demands of pregnancy can place a lot of stress on your musculoskeletal system. Of course, it doesn’t mean all those physical changes instantly disappear after the baby has been born. Here’s some advice from our team at Eastern Oklahoma Chiropractic to give you a head start on relieving discomfort and getting your body back into healthy alignment.
Pregnancy’s Musculoskeletal Changes
Your musculoskeletal system is composed of muscles, bones, ligaments, cartilage, joints, and tendons. It supports your body’s weight and allows you to move in response to messages relayed through your nervous system.
When you’re pregnant, the extra weight you’re carrying changes your center of gravity, posture, and curve of your spine. This places more stress on your spine, joints and muscles. Hormones also loosen your ligaments to accommodate the baby and prepare for labor and delivery.
All of these changes can cause pain and other problems, such as increased strain on your lower back, hips and knees.
Some women are affected more than others by musculoskeletal complications, which may include:
- Higher risk of injuries
- Muscle strain
- Pain, especially in the lower back
- Pinched nerves
- Difficulty performing daily tasks
- Reduced mobility and balance
Physical Challenges After Pregnancy
Getting your body back to its normal state can be even harder with the physical demands of caring for a new baby. Some common practices may cause pain and muscle strain, such as:
- Leaning over the baby while feeding
- Lifting baby or baby gear without protecting your back
- Standing with hips and back in misaligned postures while holding the baby
- Excessive sitting
And, of course, lack of sleep is a fact of life for most new parents, making everything more challenging.
Tips for a Better, Faster Postpartum Recovery
While recognizing the challenges of having a new baby, you can make your best effort to have a positive impact on your recovery. Here are some natural ways to care for yourself:
- Try to maintain good posture while caring for your baby.
- Take breaks often when you’re standing.
- Elevate your feet when you do sit down.
- Apply heat to painful areas.
- Eat a balanced diet with sufficient fiber, protein, calcium, and other nutrients.
- Reach and maintain a healthy weight.
- Get regular exercise.
- Ask your chiropractor for help with exercises that stretch muscles and strengthen your core.
- Address problems early to help prevent temporary pain from becoming chronic.
How Chiropractic Care Aids Your Recovery
Having a properly aligned spine is a great foundation to help prevent pain and injury.
When you’re in pain, you may compensate in your movements, throwing your musculoskeletal system out of balance and leading to more muscle and joint strain.
Even before and during pregnancy, your chiropractor can help you get out ahead of problems by strengthening and aligning your spine and musculoskeletal system with chiropractic treatments and exercises.
Benefits to you include better mobility, a well-functioning nervous system, pain prevention without the use of medications, and a good start to a healthy, happy post-pregnancy!
Contact our Broken Arrow Office to Book Your Free Consultation
We want to help you feel great before, during and after your pregnancy. Call Eastern Oklahoma Chiropractic at 918-940-4630.