16 Jan Preparing for Your First Chiropractic Appointment
We all feel a sense of relief when we begin taking steps to fix a problem, especially when it’s health-related. And our team at Eastern Oklahoma Chiropractic knows that you’ll get the most out of each step of your wellness journey by being prepared.
What to Expect at Your First Chiropractic Session
Chiropractors are specialists in the musculoskeletal system, providing holistic care that promotes wellness throughout the body. They perform adjustments that align the spine, relieving pain and improving mobility, nervous system performance and healing.
Your first visit is a consultation where you’ll share your feelings and undergo tests to diagnose what’s causing your symptoms. You work together with your chiropractor to assemble the pieces of the diagnostic puzzle.
You’ll receive a complete exam with physical, orthopedic and neurological components, including an evaluation of your range of motion, spinal alignment, and other musculoskeletal functions.
You’ll answer questions about your pain and other symptoms, such as:
- Type of pain (dull, sharp, burning)
- Location of symptoms
- If the discomfort was caused by an injury
- How long you’ve had the pain; if it’s acute or chronic
- Whether certain body positions relieve symptoms or worsen them
Using all of the valuable information from your initial appointment, your chiropractor will put together a report of findings and a customized treatment plan for you.
At this first session, you may also receive an initial treatment to help relieve symptoms and get the healing process started.
Tips for Making the Most of Your Chiropractic Appointment
When you’re in a new medical situation, anxiety may make it difficult to remember your questions or retain information you’ve received from your provider.
Here are some ways to enhance your experience:
Download new patient forms and fill them out at home, before your appointment. This allows you to think about your symptoms, medical history and other useful things, without feeling rushed.
Take with you a small notepad listing important facts and questions about your health, symptoms and treatment. Use it during your appointment to make notes.
Dress in comfortable, stretchy clothing that allows free movement, such as yoga pants or relaxed-fit slacks and a loose-fitting shirt.
Bring items that will assist your chiropractor’s evaluation, such as:
- Records of other chiropractic and medical treatments you’ve had
- A list of medications or supplements you’re using
- Relevant medical reports
- X-rays and other types of scans you’ve had for your condition
- Any corrective devices you use, such as orthotics
Asking Questions of Your Chiropractor
Throughout your first and later appointments, feel free to ask questions at any point in the session and to ask what comes next. Here are some questions you may want on your list:
- What tools do you use to diagnose my problem?
- What kind of experience do you have with my condition?
- What treatments do you provide?
- How many visits will I need?
- What can I do at home to prevent and treat problems?
- Do you offer nutritional and other wellness counseling?
Great communication at your first appointment will set the stage for your treatment plan and build your pathway to feeling better!
Call Our Broken Arrow Office for Your Complimentary Consultation
We welcome all your questions; contact Eastern Oklahoma Chiropractic at 918-940-4630.