03 Apr Relieve Back Pain with Chiropractic Care and 6 Healthy Habits
It’s pretty likely you’ll experience back pain during your life—about 80 percent of people will. Maybe you’re suffering from an aching back right now.
Fortunately, most cases of back pain respond to conservative treatments. Noninvasive care at Eastern Oklahoma Chiropractic complements and reinforces other natural back pain relief measures without medications. Read on to learn more about improving your back health.
7 Tips to Relieve and Prevent Back Pain
Many things can set you up for a painful back, such as overuse of muscles, aging, your genes, or a sedentary lifestyle.
Of course, you can’t change your age or genetics, but you can minimize back pain risk in many other ways, including:
1) Exercise and stay active. Moving your body is hugely important for mobility and healing. Too much lying down and sitting can actually strain your back and make symptoms worse. Avoid repetitive motions that stress muscles.
Depending on the cause and intensity of your pain, and with advice from your chiropractor or another healthcare provider, work within your limits to keep moving. An exercise program to prevent and control pain may include:
- Regular aerobic exercise. This releases endorphins and increases blood flow to your back for faster healing and better mobility.
- Core strengthening exercises for abdominal and back muscles relieve strain on your spine.
- Stretching to increase flexibility and range of motion. Stretching exercises can relieve back pain.
2) Eat an anti-inflammatory diet to promote healing and weight loss. Avoid inflammation-causing processed foods, sugar, and trans fats. Choose:
- Colorful fruits and vegetables like carrots, sweet potatoes, and strawberries
- Nuts, healthy fats, and fatty fish such as salmon
- Vitamin D and calcium to help preserve bone strength in your spine
3) Practice good posture to prevent muscle strain. Stand with shoulders back. Sit straight in your chair with your feet on the floor. And don’t hunch over your computer!
4) Use ice or heat. Start with ice after an injury to reduce swelling. Later, heat helps to increase blood flow and relax muscles.
5) Try relaxing mindfulness practices such as meditation, breathing exercises, tai chi or yoga. Relaxation is important because anticipating pain can actually make it worse.
6) Improve your sleep quality to boost healing, energy, and pain relief. Of course, pain can disrupt your sleep, but following the practices above can reduce pain, helping you sleep better. Follow a regular sleep routine. Put a pillow between your knees (side sleepers) or under them (back sleepers) for a better spine position. Avoid sleeping on your stomach.
7) Visit your chiropractor to maintain a well-aligned spine.
Chiropractic Care Anchors Your Back Health
Chiropractic treatment can speed up your recovery and prevent future back pain.
Your chiropractor will assess the causes and symptoms of your pain to create a personalized, holistic treatment plan. Spinal adjustments align the spine to reduce tightness in muscles, improve mobility and relieve pain from irritated nerves. Chiropractors also provide exercises and therapies, such as massage, to lengthen muscles and reduce tension.
Living your most active and healthy life helps to keep your back pain-free and strong!
For Your Complimentary Consultation, Contact Eastern Oklahoma Chiropractic
Call our Broken Arrow office at 918-940-4630 today to begin relieving your back pain.